Physical requirements to do acroyoga
Acroyoga is quite physical so it’s perfect for those who already have some sort of physical practise (things like yoga, Pilates, martial arts, dance, climbing, gymnastics, swimming, cycling, running etc). Having said that, If you’re willing to work hard, anything could happen!
It’s also about working with another human being so we also ask you to be discerning about your physical size. We want to create a safe space for everyone, we are working on creating a trusting environment. We are basing and flying each other, it will put others at risk of injury if you are severely overweight.
Larger people (including men) often gravitate towards performing the role of the base – which requires less dynamic flexibility and more strength. For basing, however, you need to be able to touch your toes with your hands on the ground.
There are some strong back, side and forward bends in Acroyoga so it’s not advisable to do it if you have any ongoing back conditions. Note that there are also plenty of inversions, so be aware that If you have high blood pressure, heart disease or an eye condition, or if you have had surgery, you should check with your doctor before inverting.
In terms of other ongoing conditions, please consult your doctor before doing acroyoga if you have the following conditions:
Middle ear infection
Severe vascular disease
Bone weakness, recent fractures
History of congestive heart failure
History of space-occupying brain lesion
Vulnerable areas of stress from recent surgery
During class keep an eye on your body. If you don’t then problems may happen. Injury is not only painful, it will create fear and anxiety, which will hinder further practice. If you’re feeling unusually strong, flexible or frisky be careful – it’s easy in this situation to go too far. Take personal responsibility – you are responsible for your actions. You have to be the final arbiter of what you do, as the teacher cannot be inside you!
1. I am participating in the Classes, Workshops, Intensives, Immersions, Conference, Festival, or Retreats offered by AcroYoga, Inc. and/or co-founders, Jason Nemer and Jenny Sauer-Klein, during which I will receive information and instruction about yoga, Thai massage and acrobatics. I recognise that yoga, Thai massage and acrobatics require physical exertion that may be strenuous and may cause physical injury, and I am fully aware of the risks and hazards involved.
2. I understand that it is my responsibility to consult with a physician prior to and regarding my participation in any or all offerings by AcroYoga, Inc. I represent, verify, and warrant that I am physically fit and that I have no medical condition that would prevent my full participation in any or all AcroYoga offerings.
3. In further consideration of being permitted to participate in any or all AcroYoga, Inc. offerings, I knowingly, voluntarily and expressly waive any claim I may have against by AcroYoga and/or co-founders, Jason Nemer and Jenny Sauer-Klein, or any of their subsidiaries, for injury or damages that I may sustain as a result of participating in the AcroYoga, Inc. offerings.
4. I further hereby indemnify and hold harmless AcroYoga, Jason Nemer, Jenny Sauer-Klein and their successors and assigns from any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising out of or relating to any claim by a third party resulting from my practice or instruction in the field of yoga, Thai massage or acrobatics.
5. I, my heirs or legal representatives forever release waive, discharge and covenant AcroYoga, Inc. and/or co-founders, Jason Nemer and Jenny Sauer-Klein, and any of their subsidiaries for any injury or death caused by their negligence or other acts.
I have read the above release and waiver of liability and fully understand its contents. I voluntarily agree to the terms and conditions stated above.